Wednesday, April 11, 2007

What Part Don't You Get?

So, Eli didn't come home from school today. Called all the friends, no go. The last friend (his friend Eli) on the list was a disconnected number. So Hannah and I tried calling him on his cell phone, no go. He sets it on silent/vibrate mode in school and when he is running or playing, he can't feel it ring. So I jumped in the car and drove to Eli's house. His mom drove in the driveway right after I did, so I got to meet her--she called me "Kris" even after I corrected her. Hmmm. We talked to one of her young sons--"Is Eli here?" I asked.
"Which one?"
Eli's mom and I both looked at him and said "Both of them!"
Well, they weren't anywhere to be found.
So I drove around the neighborhood looking for a wandering duo of Elis.
I gave up and went home after two rounds of the neighborhood, and Eli called me as I pulled in the driveway.
"Where are you?" I asked him.
"We were in the back yard at Eli's house." Ok, we did not look there.
"Well you had better get home right now." I said calmly--ha. Trust me, he knew what he had to look forward to when he got home.
"I thought you could come and pick me up."
I had to pause to collect my thoughts.
"No, I think you got yourself over there, you can walk home."
Lest you think I am an ogre, it is about a mile.
When he got home I asked him why he thought he could ignore the rules and do what he pleased.
Know what he said?
"Because I'm older."
Oh, well, then!
I told him the next time I feel like blowing a stop sign and I get picked up, I'll tell the officer "I'm older" and then I shouldn't have to pay the ticket, right?
"Ok, mom, I get it." he said humbly.
We shall see.

6 comments:

Maria said...

Wow.What a scare. That is like my WORST nightmare. So glad all's well that ends well.

idnak said...

Yea! Eli's home!

Carla said...

We've got lots of playing to do now that we're older! Let the party begin!

kristi noser said...

Yeah, what do you think we can get away with? Ending a sentence with a preposition, perhaps?

Carla said...

You madcap you.

Anonymous said...

Oh lighten up! You have let him drive a riding lawn mower since he was in diapers! Why should he come home when he is supposed to! McClain told me once (and only once)"I knew you would come looking for me..." the fun has just begun...

If McClain had been first, he would have been an only! love you, kathaleend