Sunday, February 06, 2011

Pride In Money

Today I got an ad on my facebook page that stated: "Wouldn't you like a credit score you could frame?" Hinting that you should have so much pride in your credit score that you would be happy to put it on your wall.
Two things come to mind.
One, I am guilty of this. I have a great credit score, I have worked hard for it, but I also know it could be gone in an instant if God decides it to be. However, I did find myself beaming at the number when we had our house refinanced a few months ago. Oh, the pride I had. Wow, whatta great score! Silly me, putting so much stock in a number the banks tag me with.
Two, What is wrong with this country that the importance of a credit score is something we take pride in? (I can't believe how many sentences I am ending with prepositions) What if we took pride in helping the poor, or taking in homeless people, or stopping crime?

I propose we take a minute every day and evaluate our People Score. How many people did we love up today? How many people did we help out today? How can I help?

Get that score up in the 800's willya.

7 comments:

Carla said...

Thinking your people score would be one you could frame, Momma!

M Hastings said...

As a very young adult (18,19) I made the mistake of getting credit and going crazy. I didn't pay anything, I just used credit.

Of course, now I regret that. On more than one level.

Credit is one of the few aspects of money which can (not always) reflect good AND sinful lifestyle choices. There is of course ALWAYS the individual who gets in over his or her head accidentally, but I have met more than a few people who, like me, realized the error of their greedy and short-sighted behaviors when their credit became a problem. It holds our 'feet to the fire' so to speak. We have to make proper restitution for our financial deceit.

So while I understand the purpose of your post, and I applaud your reminder that we are not of this world, I also would like to simply point out the positive aspects of credit ratings.

Joey said...

I like M Hastings' comment but since blogs don't have "like" options, I'll just type it. :) I get the point of not wanting credit scores to be an idol, but they're also pretty indicative of how we've treated the resources God's given us.

Also, I'm posting this on my blog in a week or two but thought you may find it interesting. The Cleveland Federal Reserve puts together short educational videos in a series called "The Drawing Board." This video shows how credit scores are calculated and how your credit score can drop (or rise) without you changing a thing because ultimately, it's based on your credit compared with everyone else's. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWa34pB3pQA

kristi noser said...

...how we treated God's resources...Good point, Joey.
I do believe we should all have a good credit score, don't get me wrong. The place it takes in out heart is the thing to be examined.

Joey said...

"The place it takes in our heart is the thing to be examined."

Gotcha, makes total sense!

(Shouldn't we be sleeping? Must be trying to come down from the Packer high... :) )

Kandi said...

Love this post.

TheKupkaFamily said...

Love, Love, Love this post! What a great reminder.