Tuesday, April 28, 2009

And The Beat Goes On

Last night as I was trying to settle down to sleep, my heart was dancing. Doing the jig she was. I couldn't slow it down by breathing steady, or taking my medicine or anything I thought would work. So I called Laurie, our next door friend and asked her if she'd come and take a listen. Always handy to have a cardiology nurse next door, I say.
She said it sounded like atrial fibrillation, and that maybe it would get better in time, but that my best choice would be to go to the ER.
So off we went.
Wanna know how to make those ER receptionists move? Say something like this:
"My heart is doing something weird and jumpy."
She had me at hello, if you know what I mean.
My bottom hardly hit the chair before I was hustled into a bed, hooked up to all kinds of wires and the monitors were lit up.
Atrial fib was the correct diagnosis, thank you Laurie, and I was given options. Let them shock my heart back into submission, which the ER doc was strangely eager to do (not really), or take the medication-to-slow-the-heart-and-hope-it-obeys.
I chose door number two. Not that I was afraid to take a shock, but heck, I wanted to get a chance to sleep in a bed that made my butt fall asleep. Who wouldn't, right?
My heart decided that it had had enough persuasion after two doses, three hours, one asleep butt, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Wait, that singing partridge is actually a beeping monitor--who knew that grasping your cell phone would cause a blood pressure cuff to malfunction? Now you know.
Meds were on board at three am and the ol' ticker obeyed at four, I got a good report from the doctor at two pm and we were home by three-thirty.
Whew!

15 comments:

Joey said...

Wow...one heck of a night! So glad you're okay!

zcoffeegirl said...

Okay...to see your humor through it all brings tears to my eyes. That's our girl. Now what???? More info..sorry, I'm not satisfied. Love you. And..thanks for the message. Put my ticker at ease. Thank you very much.

Carla said...

Thank you for the update and the laffs. :)

Brandy Dopkins said...

I love you mommers

LadyD said...

Now that, my friend, is the winner for the blog post of the year for
2009. Suspense, action, fear, crying, relief, and non-stop humor!
And kept it brief too! Amazing- I would have needed two pages at least:) So glad you are well again~
I must make you some kind of an Award for this post..........

erin said...

Mama, I'm so glad you're ok.
I can imagine you in the hospital laughing about your sleeping butt. I bet the nurses loved you. : )
I love you. Don't die.

heidi heinsch said...

Kristiiiiiiiiiiiiii...so glad you are ok. I kept trying to read everyone's facebook to find out more info on you girl. Worried down here in Florida. What a trip--glad ;you took it seriously and went in to the ER. One good night sleep for you!!

Katie R. said...

I'm w/ Sherri, I'm going to need more info. Now what? Is this a one time deal?

Also, Erin you're funny. Serious, I know but funny.

Finally, I'm glad you are okay and are at home where you belong. Try not to let this happen again.

:)

Unknown said...

I am very glad you are home and feeling better. Thank you for your humor. You are cherished and loved!

Ed Rankin said...

AF - no fun - glad you're ok! That must have been scary. Hopefully it will stay under control with drugs and you won't need ablation or a device. Sherri, Katie, and I would like to hear the prognosis.

Kris H said...

Wow, Kristi. I'm glad you're doing well. You have a knack for making any situation funny!

Keithslady said...

Mr. Gabe offers his own heartfelt-with-a-hole congratulations on your successful rhythms and we're praying his journey is as successful. As bad as the bed is snoozing in the chair next to the patient in the bed--no butt comfort there either.

Anonymous said...

so glad you are okay! and with plenty of laughs as well!!

theswamphare said...

When I heard that you'd converted I knew it had something to do with suck-month; just don't start wearing a burka and making that strange ululating noise...

Seriously, we love you and your heart.

-V- said...

Was wondering what was going on - FB updates and stuff... Thanks for the update, and SO glad all's well, Kristi. Thanks for the smiles too... :-)