Monday, August 13, 2007

Out Of Dodge

For the last ten years our family has been a minivan family. Three minivans have graced our driveway, all from the same manufacturer. I guess I am in a rut.
Paul and Brandy had their class reunion yesterday, and as they had a lot of stuff to haul to the zoo where it was held, they asked to use the van. That meant their little VW beetle graced our driveway yesterday.
The trouble began in the morning.
Now I have to tell you, I used to drive cars for a job, and this is a leeetle embarassing. But what the heck.
I looked and looked for the key to the car, finding it in the ignition of the beetle. Turned the key. Nothing.
Called Brandy to find out if there is a trick to starting a diesel, she said no, that when you stick the key in the ignition it starts the glow plugs and you just have to wait for the light to go off. Uh oh. I didn't see any lights.
So P&B came over to give me a lesson, and of course the thing started right up.
Ok, I have this down, then.
Had to go to church for a meeting last night, jumped in the sweet little silver beauty. No key. Where did that thing go? I dropped it RIGHT HERE! Well, of course it had hidden itself under the seat.
But now I'm running late for the meeting, and getting cranky.
Car started ok, put it in reverse, car goes forward. Try reverse again, car goes forward. Now I'm getting a little too close to the boat that is parked in the driveway. Try again, forward. What the hell? (really cranky by now)
I remembered that you sometimes have to push the stick shift down to get into reverse. That did the trick. Backed up and pulled into the driveway.
The brake light is on.
Ok, no biggie, pull the brake handle up and click the button and let it release, right?
Nope.
The button is stuck, and now the brake handle is up so far I can't pull it up any farther.
Good thing Poppers was standing right there. I whined at him. It took him two seconds to make the brake handle obey, and off I went.
Killed it at the second stop sign trying to start out in third gear instead of first. Good grief.
Finally made it to church, and I got out of the car, walked up to the building and a lady greeted me with "Hey! You're late!" Grrrr. I know she was kidding, I know, I know...
When Paul & Brandy came to church to trade cars, Paul told me I should stick to Dodges.
I think he's right. Sweet, safe, non-stick-shift minivans.

1 comment:

theswamphare said...

not altogether unlike going from a Honda to a Harley; subtle differences, but they make you feel like you're in a parallel dimension.