Saturday, March 31, 2007

Charcoal

I got to bowl in a benefit for Bridge today. Bridge is a program where mentally/phisically challenged teens and young people can live in a house and learn life skills. One of my good friends has a son who is autistic and we bowled with their family and me as the team. I had a good time, and we raised a whole lot of money for the Bridge house. A huge THANK YOU to the people who sponsored me.
Before I left for the game, I left the hamburger I was cooking for Poppers, with instructions that it would be done in three minutes or so. I was in danger of being late, or I would have finished it myself. Next time I'll choose to be late, methinks.
When I walked in the house a strange smell assaulted my shnozzola. Also there were many windows open. "What happened here?" I asked.
"I made dog food." Poppers said, and proceeded to show me some charcoal lumps in a bowl.
Yep, the hamburger I left for him to finish. I can only imagine what happened, because I did not ask. I just quietly shut my mouth and finished cooking the hamburger he had run to the store to buy after "the fiasco". Lest you think I am a skilled "shutter-upper", I am not, but we had just had a --well--conversation (and you know what THAT means) this morning about how we decide to respond to one another's comments sets the tone for the day.
Trust me, I had many snotty remarks running through my head, because I will tell you--the phrase "pissed off" does not even come close, but thanks be to God, he did not let one of them come out.
Things to learn from today:
1. Don't leave the stove while cooking.
2. Just finish the hamburger before you go.
3. Don't leave the stove while cooking.
4. Dogs will take the offered lump of burned hamburger, and leave it on the living room carpet.
5. The fact that our house did not burn down today is a gift from God.
6. Don't leave the stove while cooking.

3 comments:

Carla said...

If the smoke detectors didn't go off then you are a better cook than I.

Kim N. said...

I am glad nothing bad happened! I can do that same trick and I don't have to leave the house. I just step away from the stove and my mind goes blank. I have completely forgotten that I am cooking something, until the smoke detectors go off. I have wrecked a few good frying pans in my day.

idnak said...

One really important thing: Don't leave the stove while cooking.