Sunday, January 07, 2007

Homework

Kelli, I know you can relate to this one...

I have a confession. I don't like to help my son with his homework, because it is always a fight. I know, I should be a good mommy and put a smile on, and make the most of it. And I try, but I still don't like it. Eli is a very perceptive person, and knows that I don't like it, which exacerbates the problem, and the wheel spins 'round and 'round.
Because of his broken foot, I kept Eli home on Thursday and Friday this week. I stopped by the school and picked up his assignments and all of his books with the intention that we catch up on all his late homework while I have him captive. Muuuhaahaaahaa.
Opened up World Studies and what do I find? A quiz that had been attempted, but failed, and attatched was a slip that I had to sign after I studied with him.
"What are you supposed to be learning?" I asked him. (bad mommy)
"All the countries in Africa."
Oh good grief.
Keep in mind, that this was the FIRST I had heard about this project, not having seen him with any kind of Africa study material at all.
So he has to learn all 50 countries of Africa before Monday. We got to work. I found the list of countries, and made flashcards, and John found a blank map online, and printed a bunch for him to practice filling in the names. We also worked on tricks to remember the countries. The two little teeny ones in the middle are Rwanda and Burundi. So we take a walk, and we "wander to Burundi in the afternoon". Stuff like that.
The afternoon was a success, and he realized how much easier it is when we all do the work together, and how much faster he learns when we all help him. Maybe I'll like the homework thing more as Eli learns that we aren't the schoolwork enemy, and I dream of the day he will do his work by himself. A pipe dream, perhaps, since he has never been the one to do paperwork without --um,---encouragement.
So slap a smile on and go to work! Be the mom you are supposed to be!
SLAP!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Slap duly noted. :)

I'm off to do posters of West Virginia and Rhode Island, then spelling packets and a 6-9 page report for Social Studies.

All with a smile, of course.

Ah, Sunday, the day of rest.

Carla said...

Kelli, I hope you get a good grade on all of your posters and your report. You are a good, little student! Keep it up! You could make the honor roll this year, fer sher. B/F F/F Karli

Anonymous said...

Man, I really hope so. I don't remember working this hard in High School the first time.

Joey said...

I grew up using the greatest computer geography games in the world to study for the state geography bee. Too bad you didn't have one of those! You have a map of Africa (for example), and the name of the country comes up, and you have to click on the country. You get points for being correct and lose points for being wrong.

Computer games = learning + success. You should try it Kristi Noser!!!

erin said...

Kristi, I think you're a good mommy! Not a lot of mommies would spend the time helping their kids this way--none that read this blog, of course, but it's true.

Anonymous said...

Can he pronounce the names of those African countries? I know I sure can't. :) I hated geography! LOL