Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Lindstrom

While reading the comments from the Polk County State Fair blog, Pat's comment reminded me that he and I used to have the same stompin' grounds, albeit my stompin' was a few years earlier than his.
We picked Kandi up in her town on Saturday and figured the shortest straightish line from there to St. Croix Falls was through Chisago, Lindstrom and Center City MN. Wow. Sure has changed in 25 years. I used to have a massive apartment (the thing had to be 1000 sq. ft.) above Edson's. Which is not there anymore, by the way. Edson's I mean. The roaches--or their relatives--probably still are. I worked at that time in the kitchen of the beautiful sanctuary that is Hazelden. The perfect place for a young girl that needed people to love her up. God is so good, I am thankful He put me there. I enjoyed the job, the people, and the town. Now, I'm not saying I was Sister Sally Purebred--far from it, these were BC years after all, but the memories--the ones I can remember, some I choose not to--are interesting.
Recently I was listening to 80's music and I heard a "Lindstrom Song". Isn't it cool how hearing a song from a time can bring you right back there? Remember these? (Joey, you're exempt, you weren't born yet)
"Upside Down" by Diana Ross,
"Funkytown" by Lipps, Inc.,
anything from the Billy Joel "Glass Houses" album--8 track, actually...
Any one of these songs crosses my ears and I could be driving to the "Munie" or heading for work down highway 8 (hopefully not in that order). In a '72 Ford Maverick, no less.

4 comments:

Joey said...

"Gotta make a move to a town that's right for me"

The first time I heard that song I actually was singing it. It was at the Minnesota Historical Society with my mom, aunt, and sister. My sister and I went into the little "recording studio" and that was the only song they had that you could play with. Apparently some artist who sang it was from the Twin Cities. Cindy something or other? Anyway, it was pretty easy to learn, obviously. Not exactly much to the words. Ever since then though, I perk up when I hear the song.

"Gotta move on, doo ba doo ba ba doo...gotta move on...

Won't you take me to - Funkytoooown? Won't you take me to - Funkytowown. Won't you take me to...."

Good stuff! (Even if it doesn't really make that much sense.)

Reegz said...

I loved that Billy Joel "album" too. We used to play it and sing along with the words right off the inside cover! It's just a fantasy...whoa...it's not the real thing....whoa....you may be right....I may be crazy...it's still rock-n-roll to me and all the rest! How about "Blondie?" I loved "RAPTURE!" Oh, I guess I still do- in another way though!

Unknown said...

Oh....man! Remember Karl Oscar Days? One year my friends and I lugged a boom box around all day, all around town, waiting for the first motley crue song to ever be played on a MN radio station. I'll never forget where I was standing when "Shout at the Devil" was first played. Because we carried one of the only boom boxes in Lindstrom, we were the coolest kids! (There's a memory for you!)

Carla said...

The Munie....I remember walking in but the getting home part is a little fuzzy!! Song...What is Love baby don't hurt me...