Thursday, October 18, 2007

"J" Personality Hell

I am a strong Myers Briggs "J". Very Strong. I believe the last time I took the test I came up with one point on the "P" side. Like I said.
Tonight was hell for me.

Allow me to paint the picture. A long picture, but you'll soon see why.

Eli's last hunter safety class, graduation night. All of us are sitting in bleachers, the most uncomfortable sitting structure known to man, the graduates scattered about the crowd. First came the lecture from one of the instructors about how we should remember that this is just the beginning, that we should practice with our children so they learn more and more about hunter safety.
Then the Game Warden spoke. Now, to his credit he was neither redundant, nor uninteresting, something that was refreshing to say the least.
Then the squirming (on my part) started.
The graduates that scored 100% on the field test and the written test were asked to come down.
Congratulated and asked to return to their seats.
Then the graduates that scored 100% on just the field test.
Congratulated and asked to return to their seats.
Then the ones who scored 100% on just the written test.
Congratulated and asked to return to their seats.
Then the star students were asked to come down.
Congratulated and asked to return to their seats.
Then the tests were handed out. As they were to be returned, not kept, we had to wait while the people looked at their test and turned it back in to the instructors. Then they counted them to assure that not one was missing.
Then the graduates were told that they would be called one at a time to come get their certification and various goodies. Quiet please, no clapping until they're all called, blah blah.
When you're done, please return to your seats. (now I'm really having a hard time)
Then they handed out the eye exam results to all the graduates.
Finally (!) they asked all the graduates to come down from the bleachers to have their picture taken.
And then please return to your seats. (now the eyes are getting a workout--don't you know it)
Another lecture about how we should practice with our children and teach them the proper use of a firearm.

In my efficient do-it-the-easiest-and-fastest-way-possible brain I could have saved them 15 minutes, minimum.

SHORT lecture--we've heard it all fifty times.
Let's have all the graduates come down and stand in a line.
Here's the 100 percenters. Clap clap.
Here's your test--look at it and return it.
Here's your certification and eye exam slip. Please follow through this line to get your goodies and to the PHOTO AREA! Congratulations to you all! Clap clap.
DONE! GO HOME ALREADY!

17 comments:

Carla said...

I say you suggest that to them. Mrs. J.

-V- said...

EFFICIENCY, CLOSURE (and maybe a little control for me too) PLEASE!! Oh - I can SO relate with that! J: a gift and a curse all in one - I'm off the charts on that one too. ESFJ? Just a guess... Good for you for resisting the urge to whip them all into shape, Kristi!

kristi noser said...

Oh Karli, if they had only had us fill out the evaluation form at the end instead of the beginning of the night.

Yes Vondaful, ESFJ. Pretty clear, huh?

kristi noser said...

Oh, and Eli got 93% on the written and 96% on the field test.
Woot Beelie!

Kelli said...

Clap, clap, clap! Way to go Eli!!

I could save them even more time. Do like Minnesota does. Take the class, take the test, pass the test, keep the test, GO HOME!!

Man, they really milk this thing, huh? I wonder if they actually have real jobs or they just get their pats from this.

zcoffeegirl said...

Coming from and ISFJ, I felt nauteous by the end of the post. Ugh.

Kim N. said...

Good Night!! You have to be kidding me!! I don't know what I am according to Myers/Briggs but seriously. I have no patience for such a waste of time. Hello people its hunter safety, not a PHD from some famous university!!

erin said...

I'm an ENFP.
Even I felt my blood pressure rise. To be honest, I had to SCAN the post becuase it upset me so much.
I see your point, Mrs. J, but my P-ness is a little offended.

erin said...

My P-NESS!

LOL!!!
Oh my goodness.
I don't care who ya are. That's funny.

kristi noser said...

A shining example of the comments being funnier than the blog.

-V- said...

Erin said P-ness.

Kim N. said...

Yes, That is totally funny. I have tears in my eyes from laughing!

theswamphare said...

Does 'gun safety' encompass not shooting pompous windbags that selfishly orchestrate the misuse/abuse of your time?

I'da brought a tazer and used it all up, it sounds like.

theswamphare said...

'coffeegirl' felt nauteous; Is that dirty?

zcoffeegirl said...

What??? I don't get it.....I feel nauteous when people talk too much...when I don't know when the conversation is going to end...and they go on and on....I want to throw up. Snot dirty at all, Swampy.

kristi noser said...

nauseous Coffeegirl, nauseous.

Kara Jo said...

I just got the P-ness thing. Takes me a while.

FYI, I'm an ESFJ also, and also very strong on the J. I didn't know the efficiency component was part of the J thing...Anyway, as I read your post, I could empathize and feel the irritation right along with you. If I'd been there, my poor hubby would've gotten an earful all the way home. And I probably would've dug my evaluation right out of the pile to redo it, too!