Monday, May 14, 2007

Master Gardener

My sister Kelli is a flower person. She has beds of flowers, keeps them up all year long, and they look beautiful. Me? Hmmmm, not so much. I know what a daisy looks like, assuming the rabbits don't eat them all to the ground in the spring, but other flowers? Nah. Honestly, I really like them in my yard, but they require two things. 1. Work, and 2. Dirty hands. neither of which I care to deal with, thankyouverymuch.
Some years Kelli comes over and dreams for my flower beds, and makes them beautiful, and sometimes not, and that's ok. I guess if I want flowers I can plant them I guess, if I have to, I guess. Which brings me to our subject of the day! Whoo Hoo!
A few years ago I decided I wanted flowers in my front yard and I was going to do it myself. Shoulda asked Kelli, but y'know pride and all that. Went to the nursery and looked around for a cute flowery-type-plant-thingie to plant around a tree in our front yard. I found the cutest little purple flowering plant. The tag said it would spread and cover the ground. Sweet, less mowing, right? Know what it was?
Oh how stoopid am I?
Creeping Charlie.
YES! The plant people are always trying to eradicate from their lawns and gardens, I am planting on purpose.
To its credit it has spread around the tree nicely.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

And, when you mow it, it smells just like Grammy's back yard! Yay!! :)

Unknown said...

Oh, and by the way, don't come looking at my flower beds this year. Total state of confusion and weedy-ness. I think this is regroup year.

But thanks for the nice comments. :)

Carla said...

Is that what is all over my yard? Thanks for the info. Anonymous

hannahjane said...

i love the smell of creeping charlie. if i ever live somewhere and it grows in my lawn i'm not getting rid of it :)

Katie R. said...

I think you did a great job! You were able to choose something you like and it grows well where you put it. That's all there is to gardening. :)

Mister Wizard said...

I’ve always loved the bright colors of dandelions. The yellow back grounded by the deep green of the grass always looked so neat. So I sat outside in my lawn chair and told my wife I was planting “flowers”. Wouldn’t you know it that the “flowers” turned white and the grass turned brown. Now every week she wants me to go out and cut them all down. There is no justice… None at all.

Brandy Dopkins said...

I think master gardeners call the stuff that we little people can grow "pest plants" just to keep us from thinking we are gardeners.

it's a conspiracy.

Billiam said...

Mister Wizard.. two words. Dandelion Fluff. It'll make pretty colors and also make the world a better place. For a while... LOL

Unknown said...

every master gardener eventually submits to the eternal power of the weed

Maria said...

I have snow on the mountain and it hogs all the room. But, it is a nifty little ground cover...

rt said...

I agree with the conspiracy idea. However if you have young children I believe creeping charlie is poisonous. Don't be tempted fourbyforty!